Benefits, Support and advice

Can I claim benefits as a single parent if I am still living in the same house as my ex?

If you are separated from your partner but you are both still living in the same house you may not be able to claim a benefit as a single parent. This is because it is very difficult to prove you are living independently and you ex is not contributing to you living costs. The benefit you could claim would be universal credit.

This gives money for you, your children and housing costs. The amount you get depends on any income you have from work and on any savings or capital you may have. Maintenance for your children does not affect universal credit but any money paid by you ex for bills, food or rent would.

Your question hasn't been answered?

Please complete the fields below. One of our advisers will review your question and provide an answer within 3 working days. Check back on the board to see your question answered. We don't publish answers to questions if the subject and answer is sensitive, we will email you back directly if this is the case.

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux