Benefits, Employment, Health and wellbeing

Can I get any benefits if I leave my work due to ill health?

You may be able to claim New Style Employment and Support Allowance if you are unable to work due to ill health and have made the necessary national insurance contributions while you were working. You may also be able to get universal credit, or an increase in universal credit, for your children and for rent. If you have not made enough contribution you may get universal credit for yourself as well as for your children and rent.

If you are already getting tax credits when you give up work you will need to make a claim for universal credit and your tax credits will stop.

Claim universal credit online.

You should also contact your local council about help to pay council tax. You can usually apply for council tax reduction on your council’s website.

Your question hasn't been answered?

Please complete the fields below. One of our advisers will review your question and provide an answer within 3 working days, check back on the board to see your question answered. If our advisers feel we are unable to post your question and answer publicly here, they will get in touch directly.

  • By sending you agree to our privacy policy
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux