Benefits, Coronavirus, Health and wellbeing, Money

I’ve had to self isolate and my work aren’t paying me. What should I do?

If you or someone in your household is, or has, experienced COVID-19 symptoms and you are self-isolating for 7 or 14 days in accordance with government advice, you are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from day 1 of your sickness or self isolation. You should speak to your employer. You can get £94.25 per week SSP for up to 28 weeks.

When required, you can  get an ‘isolation note’ by visiting NHS 111 online rather than visiting a doctor. For COVID-19 cases this replaces the usual need to provide a ‘fit note’ (sometimes called a ‘sick note’) after 7 days of sickness absence.

If you are not eligible for SSP and you have symptoms, or are self isolating as above, if you do not already receive any benefits, you may be able to claim universal credit or new style employment and support allowance while you are off work.

If you are already receiving means tested benefits (for example universal credit or housing benefit) you should let the relevant benefit department know that your income has gone down. If you can’t make ends meet until you are paid universal credit ask for an advance or contact the Scottish Welfare Fund to see if they can help you.

Your question hasn't been answered?

Please complete the fields below. One of our advisers will review your question and provide an answer within 3 working days. Check back on the board to see your question answered. We don't publish answers to questions if the subject and answer is sensitive, we will email you back directly if this is the case.

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux