Benefits, Children, Money

My children stay with their mother during the week and with me at the weekend. Can I claim any benefits?

Benefits for children such as universal credit, child tax credit and child benefit are usually paid to the person who has most of the care of the children. Benefits for each child cannot be split however if there is more than one child parents can agree to each claim benefits for different children.

For example if John and Anna have two children John can claim universal credit and child benefit for one child and Anna can claim them for the other. Both parents would also have to meet the requirements for being able to claim these benefits.

If maintenance is being paid for the children it can be reduced if the parent paying it has overnight care of the children.

Your question hasn't been answered?

Please complete the fields below. One of our advisers will review your question and provide an answer within 3 working days. Check back on the board to see your question answered. We don't publish answers to questions if the subject and answer is sensitive, we will email you back directly if this is the case.

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux