Coronavirus, Money

My income is reduced as my ex has stopped paying maintenance. Can I get any help as I’m finding it difficult to manage?

If you have suffered a drop in your income there are a few thing you can do to see if you are getting all the money you are entitled to.

You may be able to get universal credit to help with day to day expenses and help pay rent. How much you get depends on your personal circumstances.

You may also be able to get help to pay your council tax. There is an automatic reduction of 25% if you are the only adult in the house but you may get a further reduction  depending on your income. Contact your local council for details. They can also help in a crisis by giving you a Crisis Grant that does not have to be paid back.

If you have a mortgage and are not working you may be able to get the Help for Mortgage interest Loan. It does have to be paid back but only when you start work.

If you are already getting the correct benefits you could get help to reduce any debt you have from your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or money advice service. The can also advice you on finding better deals on your fuel and phone packages.

For further details of the help described here see

Your question hasn't been answered?

Please complete the fields below. One of our advisers will review your question and provide an answer within 3 working days. Check back on the board to see your question answered. We don't publish answers to questions if the subject and answer is sensitive, we will email you back directly if this is the case.

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux