Modern Apprentice – Early years post, Falkirk
Last updated: 20/11/2023
Location: Falkirk Family Centre (16-19) is what we are aiming for but may be able to take older students.
Salary:£10.90 per hour (plus 12.5% accrued holiday pay of £1.36 per hour equates to £12.24 per hour)
Hours: As agreed with Assistant Manager
Reports to: Assistant Manager
The successful post-holder will be expected to operate in line with our values which are:
Justice, Equity, Trust, Collaboration and Compassion.
All roles at OPFS contribute to our mission of working with and for single parent families, providing support services that enable them to achieve their potential and help create lasting solutions to poverty and the barriers facing many single parents and their children.
The Falkirk Family Centre has a nursery setting for Eligible 2’s, which covers the upper braes area of Falkirk. The nursery capacity for up to 10 children.
The Modern apprentice working towards their Level 7 – Early years practitioner qualification is responsible to the Assistant Manager.
Equal opportunities and family friendly employment
OPFS aims to be an equal opportunity and family friendly employer and flexible working requests will be considered. OPFS has Investors In People status and Living Wage accreditation.
Specific responsibilities include
- To provide quality day care sessions compliant with Care Inspectorate.
- Take responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children.
- Build positive relationships with staff/children/parents throughout your placement.
- Carry out regular observation and feed this back to the child’s keyworker.
- Contribute to maintaining appropriate positive behaviour strategies with children.
- Work in conjunction with colleagues within the setting and outside agencies to meet the needs of individual children.
- Keep up to date with best early years practice, local and national policy.
- Complete all course work related to your qualification in a timely manner.
- Undertake a share of other duties associated with the provision of childcare sessions including cleaning of resources and equipment, preparation of snack/Lunches etc.
The role description is a broad picture of the post at the time of preparation. It is not an exhaustive list of all possible duties, as jobs change and evolve over time.
- Have an interest in working with young children.
- Ability to work within a team.
- Ability to use own initiative.
- Good communication skills.
- Food Hygiene (optional as training will be provided)
- Infection protection control (optional as training will be provided)
- Interest in working with 2 years old children. (Not essential).
Terms & conditions
- Period of appointment: This appointment is until the completion of your course work. Confirmation of appointment is subject to satisfactory completion of Disclosure Checks and receipt of references.
- Salary: £10.90 per hour (plus 12.5% accrued holiday pay of £1.36 per hour equates to £12.24 per hour)
- Hours of work: As agreed with Assistant Manager.
- Holidays: Holiday entitlement will accrue pro rata to the hours worked and be paid with your monthly salary.
- Pension: If eligible you will be auto enrolled from your start date. OPFS pays 7% of your salary and you pay a minimum of 3%.
- Training and support and supervision: You will receive induction training and frequent support throughout the course via one of the staff as your mentor.
Please contact email@example.com or 0131 556 3899 if you require a paper application form and ensure that you allow plenty of time for posting. Completed paper applications should be sent to Recruitment, One Parent Families Scotland, 2 York Place, Edinburgh EH1 3EP.
Completed Word applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If there is an influx of applicants, this post may be closed to further applicants.Download application form