Celebrating Single Parents Day 2022
Last updated: 23/03/2022
Did you know that every year on March 21, the UK and Ireland recognises Single Parents Day?
This year, One Parent Families Scotland is determined to make sure everybody knows about this chance to show appreciation for the single parents in our lives and for single parents to celebrate their own strengths and triumphs, however big or small.
We’d love your help in spreading the word and sharing the message that single parents are valued and invaluable.
Single parent families make up 25% of all families in Scotland. Most of us will know at least one single parent, but sadly we hear from single parents that stigma and judgemental attitudes around single parent families is still an issue.
This is why we’re excited to use Single Parents Day 2022 as a chance to turn that message around and tell people about the amazing achievements that single parents accomplish for themselves and their families every day. We want to make this bigger than ever by celebrating for a week instead of just 1 day.
If you’d like to get involved, you can:
- Share this information with your networks.
- Use the #StandWithSingleParents and #SingleParentsDay hashtags. If you’re a friend, family member or supporter of single parents, you might want to say:
- “#StandWithSingleParents because…” (this might be something you appreciate about a single parent you know, or a general message on why it’s important to value single parents).
- Single parents can use the #StandWithSingleParents hashtag to celebrate something they feel good about as a single parent – make sure to encourage the single parents you know to get involved and recognise their own strengths.
- Post your messages to your social media channels.
- Follow @OPFS, @Gingerbread, @parentingNI, @FifeGingerbread and @1familyireland, and keep an eye on the hashtags on the day so you can join the conversation and help raise the profile of single parents and #StandWithSingleParents.
- See the Single Parents Day website to follow events throughout the UK.
We know that single parents still face many challenges, but we can start to change this by building a society that values them equally and appreciates the hard work and love they provide.
On Monday 21st March we will focus on celebrating single parents and a reminder of why we always #StandWithSingleParents in our work at OPFS.
If you have any other ideas on how you could get involved on the day that you’d like to talk to us about, please get in touch.
Week of raising awareness of issues affecting single parents
The rest of the week we will focus on some of the additional issues faced by single parents to raise awareness.
- Tuesday 22rd March – Cost of living crisis
- Wednesday 23rd March – Employment and employability
- Thursday 24th March – Young parent penalty
- Friday 25th March – Child poverty
Share your messages of strength or inspiration
Use the form below to send us your messages or use this link.
Donate to help single parent families
We are working to bring about the change we want to see in Scotland:
A future where single parents and their children are valued and treated equally and fairly.
Providing vital support services that enable One Parent Families to achieve their potential.
Helping to create lasting solutions to the poverty which has such a deep impact on the lives of so many One Parent Families.Visit our donations page