Energy saving tips and information
Last updated: 15/04/2020
Advice on energy during COVID-19 lockdown.
Energy Saving Tips
Energy Action Scotland has put together energy saving tips if you are having to self-isolate, advice if you have a prepayment meter and contact details for suppliers.
- When using your kettle, boil only the water you need.
- If you have an electric immersion heater, only switch on when hot water is needed. An hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon/evening.
- The room thermostat on the central heating should be set at 21°C (70°F) when in the living room, if your thermostat is elsewhere, set to 18°C (64°F).
- With storage heaters, it is important to close the damper or output dial, (sometimes called the boost) before going to bed to retain heat stored overnight.
- Don’t leave appliances on standby but switch them off at the wall instead.
- Wait until you have a full load before using your washing machine. Choose the half-load setting if you cannot wait for a full load.
- You can turn off a conventional thermal oven 10mins before the end of cooking time – it will continue to cook at the same temperature if you don’t open the oven door.
Contacting your Supplier
Contact details of all the main suppliers
OVO (was SSE)