Help from the college

Last updated: 10/02/2020

This information covers who can get help, tuition fees, maintenance, funds and more while studying

Who can get help from the college

If you are from the UK or EU and have been resident in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years or more immediately before the first day of the first year of study you are eligible for help from the college.

You must also be studying a course eligible for support. You can find this out from the college.

If you have had support previously you may not be entitled to more or the amount you get may be reduced.

The Scottish Government has stated that EU students will not be affected by Brexit if they have already started their course when a decision is made about the future of the UK in Europe.

Students who do not fulfil these conditions may still be entitled to some support so should check with the college.

Money to pay tuition fees

As long as you are eligible for help from the college you will not have to pay tuition fees unless you have already received this help in the past.

Maintenance bursary

There are generally 2 further education maintenance bursaries available to single parent students.

You may get:

  1. the full bursary, of £104.65 per week, if you are already getting tax credits and/or housing benefit when you start studying. You will continue to get tax credits and housing benefit while at college but the bursary will replace jobseekers allowance if you were getting it for yourself.
  2. If you are already getting universal credit, or claim universal credit when you start your course, you may get a bursary of £28 per week. Students getting this bursary do not have to look for work or take a job while studying.

If you work at the same time as studying your earnings will affect how much working tax credit, housing benefit or universal credit you get but will not affect the bursary.

Maintenance bursaries are discretionary so there is no guarantee you will get one.

There are different bursaries if you are a single parent living with your parents or if you are a care experienced student. Check with the college for details.

Educational maintenance allowance

The educational maintenance allowance is for 16-19 year olds who continue in further education after age 16. Payments of £30 per week are made fortnightly during term time. They are dependent on attendance at school or college and the income of the family being below £24,421 p/a (or £26,884 p/a if more than one student in the family is eligible). Bonuses are also available. You must be on a full-time course of study of at least 21 hours per week in a recognised school or college of further education.

The educational maintenance allowance is paid directly into your bank account and does not affect entitlement to other benefits. Application packs are available from schools and colleges.

Help to pay for childcare

You can get up to £1,215 p/a towards the cost of registered childcare from the Lone Parent Childcare Grant if you are studying full-time. There may also be extra money available from discretionary funds. Help with childcare costs does not affect any welfare benefits or bursary you are getting. Apply through the college.

Discretionary funds

This is available from the college for help with books, equipment, travel, childcare, etc. Discretionary funds are means tested and limited, so the amount you get depends on your income and the amount of money the college is prepared to offer.

If you have financial difficulties while studying you should always ask a student financial adviser if there is help before leaving your course.

Travel expenses

You may be entitled to help towards paying for travel to college, books and equipment. This help does not affect welfare benefits or the bursary. Ask at the college for details.

Money for disabled students

There is specific support and financial help for students with an illness or disability that affects their ability to study or attend college. Contact the college for information.