Benefits that are not being replaced by universal credit

Last updated: 24/01/2020

The following are some of the benefits that are not being replaced by universal credit. You will continue to receive these or can make a new claim for them.

Call the Child Benefit Helpline or visit the GOV.UK website for more information:

Child Benefit Helpline: 0300 200 3100

Textphone: 0300 200 3103

Child benefit

You can get child benefit if you are responsible for a child or qualifying young person. A child is someone who is under 16 years of age. A qualifying young person is someone who remains in full-time non-advanced education up until the age of 20. If you share the care of your children with your ex-partner, you are not allowed to split child benefit for an individual child.

Child benefit rates:

First child: £21.05
Second and subsequent children: £13.95

If your income is more than £50,000 p/a you can get child benefit but your income tax will be affected. One per cent of the annual amount of child benefit received will be added to your income tax for every £100 that your income exceeds £50,000. This is known as the High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge. It is applied through your income tax. If you earn more than £60,000 100% of the amount of child benefit you receive will be added to your income tax. You can choose to stop receiving child benefit rather than pay the charge however, it is important to remember that child benefit protects your National Insurance record. If you choose to continue receiving child benefit, you must register for self-assessment with HM Revenue & Customs and fill in a tax return to declare the child benefit you receive.

You can apply for child benefit on form CH2 from HM Revenue & Customs.

Benefits based on your national insurance contributions

If you are not working you can get new style jobseeker’s allowance or new style employment and support allowance, rather than the standard allowance of universal credit, if you have made the necessary national insurance contributions when you were working. They are paid at the same rate as the standard allowance of universal credit but are generally not based on your income or affected by it.

Contribution based jobseeker’s allowance and contribution-based employment and support allowance will remain but only for people also getting the severe disability premium.

If you are not getting the severe disability premium you will now have to claim new style jobseekers allowance and new style employment and support allowance.

To claim new style jobseeker’s allowance call Jobcentre Plus or apply online.

Call Jobcentre Plus: 0800 055 66 88

Textphone: 0800 023 4888

Claim online:

To claim new style employment and support allowance call the universal credit helpline where you will be asked a few questions and sent or emailed a form to complete and post or email back. You also need to give Jobcentre Plus a medical certificate from your doctor.

Universal credit helpline (Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm):

Telephone: 0800 328 5644 (choose option 2)

Textphone: 0800 328 1344 (choose option 2)

For more details on new style jobseeker’s allowance and new style employment and support allowance see the disability, sickness and care benefits and universal credit information.

Money for children with a disability or long-term illness

Disability living allowance (DLA) is given for children who have a disability or illness that affects their ability to participate in everyday life. It can be given from birth up to the age of 16. Your child must have suffered from the condition for 3 months before you claim disability living allowance and be expected to have the same condition for at least a further 6 months. It is not given as a result of a diagnosis of a specific illness or disability but because of the extra care, support and supervision your child needs.

How to claim disability living allowance for your child

Claims are made by completing form DLA1.You can call the benefit claim line and ask for the form to be sent to you or downloaded it from the GOV.UK website, complete and return it to the address given on the form.

Disability living allowance helpline (Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm):

Telephone: 0800 121 4600

Textphone: 0800 121 4523

DLA1 form online:

Child Disability Payment

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children will be transferred to the Scottish Government in 2020 and will be renamed the Child Disability Payment. The benefit will remain much the same but with two main changes:

– children can remain on child disability payment until aged 18 rather than the previous age limit of 16 for DLA. This will hopefully help ease the move from child to adult services.

– the maximum amount will be given for children and young people who are terminally ill whatever their life expectancy.

The exact date child disability payment will be available is not yet confirmed but claims are expected to be taken from summer this year.

More information can be found at:

Money to help if you have a disability or long-term illness

You may get personal independence payment if you are between the ages of 16 and 65 and have a medical condition, or disability, that affects your ability to participate in everyday life.

You must have had your illness or disability for three months before you claim and be expected to have the condition for nine months after.

How to claim personal independence payment

You can make a new claim for personal independence payment by calling the Department for Work and Pensions where some details will be taken, and the operator will fill in a PIP1 form.

If you are unable to apply by phone someone can request that you are sent the PIP1 form which you can complete at home, then return.

Personal Independence claim line (Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm):

Telephone: 0800 917 2222

Textphone: 0800 917 7777

Money if you are caring for someone with a disability or illness

You may be able to claim carer’s allowance if you care for an adult or child who is getting disability living allowance care component at the middle or high rate, personal independence payment daily living component at any rate or attendance allowance at any rate.

Who can get carer's allowance?

  • You must be 16 or over and provide care, day and/or night, for at least 35 hours per week.
  • If you care for more than one person for less than 35 hours each you cannot add the hours together in order to claim carer’s allowance.
  • You can only receive one award.
  • You can still qualify for carer’s allowance, providing you meet the other criteria, if you are disabled or have a carer yourself.
  • The person you care for does not have to live with or be related to you.
  • If the person you care for has several carers only one can receive carer’s allowance.

You are not entitled to carer’s allowance if you are a full-time student.

Extra money for carers in Scotland

If you are receiving carer’s allowance you will also receive a supplement from the Scottish Government. You do not need to claim the supplement. It will be paid automatically in two equal amounts in June and December.

A new benefit to replace carer’s allowance, called Scottish Carer’s Allowance, will be introduced by the Scottish Government by the end of 2021. It will combine carer’s allowance and the supplement.

For more information call the Carer’s Allowance Supplement Helpline:

0800 182 2222

How to claim carer’s allowance

You can apply for carer’s allowance online at GOV.UK or by calling the Carer’s Allowance Unit for
form DS700.

Carer’s Allowance Unit (Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm)

Telephone: 0800 731 0297

Textphone: 0800 731 0317

NGT text relay: 18001 then 0800 731 0297