Carer's Allowance Supplement and Young Carer Grant
Last updated: 24/06/2021
The Scottish Government is paying an extra amount of money to carers in Scotland called the Carer’s Allowance Supplement and Young Carer Grant.
Carer’s Allowance - The latest Scottish Government announcement
Carer’s Allowance will continue to be paid even when the carer is unable to provide care due to self-isolation or infection of coronavirus to either them or their cared for person.
The care provided can now include mental and emotional care and not just physical.Read more from the Scottish Government
Carer’s Allowance Supplement
The Scottish Government is paying an additional amount of money to people in receipt of carer’s allowance in Scotland. It is called the Carer’s Allowance Supplement.
Carer’s Allowance Supplement is a payment of £231.40 paid twice a year.
The next payment will be:
- June 2021 – you’ll get this payment if you’re getting Carer’s Allowance on 12 April 2021
- December 2021 – you’ll get this payment if you’re getting Carer’s Allowance on 11 October 2021
You do not have to apply for this payment. If you qualify it will be paid into your bank account.
This money will not affect any other benefit you are receiving.
See the Scottish Government’s Carer’s Allowance Supplement information. You can call the Carer’s Allowance Supplement helpline on 0800 182 2222.
Young Carer Grant
You may be able to claim a young carer grant if you care for an adult who is getting personal independence payment daily living component, disability living allowance care component at middle or highest rate or attendance allowance.
Who can get a young carer grant?
- You normally live in Scotland
- You are aged 16, 17 or 18
- You are not entitled to carer’s allowance on the day you claim
- You are caring for someone, or for more than one person, who has a disability
- You are providing care for at least 16 hours a week on average
- No-one else has received a young carer grant in respect of the person you care for in the last year.
Care means being involved in an activity to promote the physical, mental or emotional well being of the person, or people, you are caring for. If you care for more that one person the number of hours you provide care can be added together. You must not be providing this care under a contract or voluntarily.
How much you get
The young carer grant is paid once a year and is £308.15. You can only get three grants in total.
How to claim
You can can download a paper application form or apply for the young carer grant online at