Scottish Welfare Fund

Last updated: 12/01/2022

The Scottish Welfare Fund provides two grants that can help pay for food, fuel or essential household items.

Crisis Grant

Crisis Grants provide help for people who need money quickly because of delays in benefit payments, unexpected expenses or an emergency. They are usually small amounts to pay for food or heating and are given for a few weeks at most. These grants are discretionary but do not have to be paid back.


Community Care Grant

You must be leaving care or need help to stay in your home to get a community care grant. You do not have to be getting benefits and the money does not have to be paid back.

The grant can be given in cash, vouchers or preloaded cards to help pay for fuel, food, travel, white goods and furniture. Each local authority can use its discretion on the type of help they will provide.


For more information on these grants, and details of how to apply, visit you local councils website or see Help from the Scottish Welfare Fund