Other help with your home

Last updated: 10/02/2020

Further sources of help for you and your home including loans, grants and funds.

The Scottish Welfare Fund

You may be able to get a community care grant or a budgeting loan from The Scottish Welfare Fund to buy things you need for your home. Applications should be made through your local council. You can phone them or visit their website for details, but your application is likely to be more successful if you get help from a Citizens Advice Bureau or a Welfare Rights Officer at your local council.

Community care grant

The scheme can pay out cash grants or assistance in kind such as fuel cards, food vouchers, travel permits, loaded store cards for the purchase of white goods and furniture. Each local authority can use its discretion on the type of help it provides. Applications are by referral or self-referral and can be made face-to-face, by telephone, by on-line application form or by downloading and posting a form depending on the contact options your local council uses.

You must be 16 years or over to apply. Applicants should normally be in receipt of income support, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income-related employment and support allowance, savings, pension credit, guaranteed pension credit, or universal credit but this is not essential. The key test of eligibility is retaining or establishing a settled way of life in the community.

Applications for a budgeting loan

Applications for a budgeting loan are made on form SF500.
Get the form from your local Jobcentre Plus

Budgeting loans

Budgeting loans are interest-free loans to purchase items such as furniture, household equipment, clothing, maternity expenses, funeral expenses, rent deposit, removal expenses, travelling expenses, etc. You must be receiving one of the following for a period of 26 weeks:

  • Income support
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Pension credit

You cannot get a budgeting loan if you get universal credit but can apply for a Budgeting Advance. A budgeting loan is reduced by any capital you have above £1,000. The minimum loan is £100, and the maximum is £812 for those with children.

Applications for a budgeting loan are made on form SF500. Get the form from your local Jobcentre Plus: www.gov.uk