Financial help in higher education

Have you considered doing a course of higher education at university or college but don’t know how you will manage financially? Our higher education information explains what help is available for single parents.


What is higher education?

Higher education is any course at SCQF level 8 and above or SVQ level 4 and 5. It includes part and full time courses in a college or university, it can also include distance learning courses completed at home.


Money to live on while studying

The money you’ll have to live on while studying will be a combination of student funding from the Student Award Agency Scotland (SAAS), benefits and earnings. Which of these, and how much you get, depends on your circumstances.


Help from your college or university

You may be able to get financial help from discretionary funds directly from the college or university.


Welfare benefits you may get while studying

There are a number of benefits you can apply for or continue to get while studying a course of higher education. What benefits and how much you get depends on your circumstances.


Useful contacts

This includes Student Awards Agency Scotland, Student Loans Company and more.