Last updated: 17/02/2020
To choose a form of childcare that is best suited to your child’s needs it is worth visiting different types of childcare.
Here are some things to look for:
- Trained and experienced staff who will respond to your child’s individual needs
- Children who are busy and happy
- Premises that are safe and clean with outdoor play space
- Broad range and generous supply of toys and equipment
- Clean toilets and hand basins with individual or disposable towels
- Fun activities that are well planned each day
- Exercise and quiet times scheduled into each day.
When you visit a childcare provider, here are some questions you might want to ask:
- How many children do you care for?
- What is the ratio of staff to children?
- What is your discipline policy?
- Do you provide meals, snacks, nappies?
- Where can my child rest or sleep?
- How will you keep me up-to-date with my child’s progress? Do you have a
- How do you deal with emergencies? What happens if my child is sick?