Help to pay for legal services

Last updated: 28/10/2020

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to legal assistance to help pay for the service provided by your solicitor or legal aid to help with the costs of going to court. Victims of domestic abuse and those who have received support from the Scottish Welfare Fund are exempt from civil court fees.

Any legal assistance/aid awarded may have to be repaid if you receive a lump sum or property as part of the divorce settlement.

Speak to your solicitor or visit the Scottish Legal Aid Board for more information.