Support if your ex-partner is abusive

Last updated: 06/11/2023

What to do if you are a victim of domestic abuse.

For support, advice & information on domestic abuse, contact Scottish Women’s Aid:

Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline Scotland

0800 027 1234

If you are danger call the police on 112 from a landline or mobile

What to do if you own your home

If your ex-partner has no legal right to be in the home, you can ask them to leave and call the police for assistance if they refuse. You can also change the locks.

If you are married, in a civil partnership or your ex-partner’s name is on the title deeds to your home they have occupancy rights and therefore you cannot prevent them from entering the house, but you can obtain an exclusion order from the court because of the abuse.

For more information see:- What if my ex-partner is abusive?

What to do if you rent your home

If your ex-partner’s behaviour is abusive this may breach the tenancy agreement and be grounds for their eviction. The tenancy can be transferred to you if it is not already in your name.

Contact your landlord to find out more.

Help from your local council

If you need to leave your rented or owned home due to domestic abuse, contact your local council. They will offer you temporary emergency accommodation in the area you live or in another local authority and you can make a homeless application. You can have a meeting with a homeless officer to discuss your situation and options which may include returning to your own home or applying to the council for permanent rented accommodation.

Fund to Leave

Women experiencing domestic abuse will be able to receive up to £1,000 from a new pilot fund to pay for the essentials they need when leaving a relationship with an abusive partner. The grants will be available until March 2024.

The Fund to Leave will be delivered by Women’s Aid groups in the five local authority areas with the most women’s homelessness applications due to domestic abuse. More information can be found here.