What happens to council tax when my child turns 16+?

Last updated: 17/02/2021

Each household pays council tax. You may be receiving a council tax discount and a council tax reduction to help pay the bill.

You will continue to get the only adult 25% discount off your council tax bill when:

  • your child turns 16 or 17 including if they are working
  • your child turns 18 and you get child benefit for them
  • your child is a full-time higher education student.

If your child is in paid work once they are turn 18, you will lose the 25% discount.

If you get a council tax reduction to help pay the rest of your council tax bill it will continue if:

  • your child is 16 or 17 years old
  • your child is 18 to 25 years old and getting their own income support, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income-related employment and support allowance without the addition of a component or universal credit
  • you still get child benefit for them.

Once your child turns 18, if they are in paid work, you may get less help to pay your council tax bill.

Report changes to your local council.