Bereavement Support Payment

Last updated: 30/03/2022

If your husband, wife or civil partner has died in the last 21 months you may be able to get Bereavement Support Payment.

Who can get Bereavement Support Payment?

To get the payment your partner must have:-

  • paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year since 6 April 1975 or
  • have died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by their work.

You must:-

  • be under pension age and
  • living in the UK and
  • have been married to or in a civil partnership with your partner at the time of their death.


How much is it?

There are 2 amounts of Bereavement Support Payment.

If you were not getting Child Benefit when your partner died you will get a lump sum of £2.500 and £100 per month for up to 18 months.

If you were getting Child Benefit, or were pregnant, when your partner died you’ll get a lump sum of £3,500 and £350 per month for up to 18 months.

This money will be paid into your bank account. The monthly payments do not affect any other benefits you get. The lump sum will not affect benefits for 12 months but any left after that date could reduce the amount you get in other benefits.


How to Apply

You can apply for Bereavement Support Payment up to 21 months after your partner died. To get the lump sum and all 18 monthly payments you need to apply within 3 months of your partner’s death. If you apply after this you will receive the lump sum but fewer monthly payments.

The quickest and easiest way to apply is by phone but you can also apply in writing by filling in an application form.

Apply by phone

Bereavement Service helpline:
Telephone: 0800 731 0469 (Mon – Fri, 9.30am – 3.30pm)

Textphone: 0800 731 0464

Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0469

Apply using a paper form

To get a form, you can either:

Fill in the claim form and send it to:

Bereavement Support Payment
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2BS


Further support and information

More information on the Bereavement Support Payment.

More information on Funeral Support Payment.