What happens to Housing Benefit when my child turns 16+?

Last updated: 27/04/2022

Housing Benefit helps to pay your rent. You get a payment for yourself and an amount for each child who lives with you. The amount you get could change as your child gets older.

If you only have one child and Child Benefit stops you will be treated as a single person for benefits. Your Housing Benefit, and other benefits you get may stop and you may need to claim Universal Credit instead.

For more information see Moving to Universal Credit 


Changes in you child’s age that do not reduce your Housing Benefit

When your child turns 16 or 17 the amount of Housing Benefit you get will not change even if they have left school or are working.

If your child is 18 or 19 your Housing Benefit will not change if you are still getting Child Benefit for them.

If your child is 18 or over and you no longer get Child Benefit for them your Housing Benefit will not be reduced if:-

  • your child is 18 to 25 years old and getting their own Universal Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance during the assessment phase
  • your child is a full-time student
  • your child is not working or works less than 16 hours per week

If you child is 18 or over and working 16 or more hours per week your Housing Benefit will not be reduced if you are receiving:-

  • Attendance Allowance,
  • the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance
  • the Daily Living Component of Personal Independence Payment
  • or Armed Forces Independence Payment.

Changes in your child’s age that reduce your Housing Benefit

You may get less Housing Benefit if your child is 18 or over and working 16 or more hours per week. How much Housing Benefit you lose will depend on how much your child earns.

You must report changes in circumstances to your local council Housing Department.