Financial help if you have a disability or long-term illness

Last updated: 01/06/2022

You may get Personal Independence Payment if you have a medical condition, or disability, that affects your ability to participate in everyday life.

Related information

For more information call the Lone Parent Helpline: 0808 801 0323

Personal Independence Payment

You may get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) if you are between 16  and pension age and have a medical condition, or disability, that affects your ability to participate in everyday life.

The illness or disability can be physical or mental and you must have had it for three months before you claim and be expected to have the condition for nine months after.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults has been replaced by PIP. If you are still getting DLA, you will receive a letter telling you it is coming to an end and inviting you to apply for PIP instead. This process was expected to be completed by 2019 but has been delayed.

Related information

Personal Independence Claim Line (Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm):
Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777

How to apply

You can apply for PIP by calling the Personal Independence Payment Claim Line where someone will take your details and fill in a PIP1 form.

If you are unable to apply by phone someone else can call on your behalf and ask for a PIP1 form to be sent to you, which you can complete at home, then return.

Around 2 weeks after completing PIP1 you will be asked to complete a PIP2 form called ‘How your disability affects you’. This asks questions about your illness or disability and how it affects your ability to complete certain tasks such as cooking, dressing and moving around. You can complete the PIP2 form on paper or online.

You have one month to complete and return your PIP2 paper form so can take some time to complete it. You can also ask someone to help you. This could be a worker who supports you, a friend or family member.

If you want to compete the PIP2 form online you will be sent instructions on how to do this and a code needed to open the form online. If you do not complete the form in one go you will need to be sent further codes. You need to complete this form without the help of someone else. If you think you would like someone to help you complete the form you may be better asking for a paper copy.

After you have returned the PIP2 form you may be asked to take part in a health assessment by video, phone, at a local centre or in your home if need be. You can have someone with you at this interview.

If you are awarded PIP it will be backdated to the date you applied by phone or to when the Department for Work and Pensions received the completed PIP1 form.


How much is it?

The decision to pay personal independence payment is based on the answers to the questions on the PIP2 form. For each answer you are awarded points. How much you get depends on how many points you are awarded.

There are two sets of questions.

One set is about your ability to do day to day tasks such as dressing and washing.  The answers to these questions are used to decide if you should get what is called the daily living component of PIP.

The other set is about your ability to move about. The answers to these questions are used to decide if you get what is called the mobility component of PIP.

You may be awarded one or you both components.

Each component has two rates: standard and enhanced. Which amount you are paid depends on points you are awarded.

Personal Independence Payment weekly rates:

Daily living component standard rate: £61.85
Daily living component enhanced rate: £92.40

Mobility component standard rate: £24.45
Mobility component enhanced rate: £64.50

PIP is paid every 4 weeks into your bank account.

Personal Independence Payment if you have a life-limiting condition

If you have a life-limiting condition you may be able to claim PIP under ‘special rules’.

Form DS1500 will be filled in by your doctor stating that you are not expected to survive beyond six months. This is returned along with the PIP2 form or emailed directly to DWP. You will still need to meet the qualifying conditions for the mobility component but not for the daily living component which will automatically be awarded at the enhanced rate.

What to do if you don’t agree with the decision on your Personal Independence Payment

If you are unhappy with the PIP award decision you can ask for it to be looked at again and then appeal if necessary.

Get expert help from someone with experience in this area such as a welfare rights worker.

For more information see:

Adult Disability Payment

Adult Disability Payment will replace Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults in Scotland. It is a benefit from the Scottish Government but is very similar to DLA and PIP. The amount you get will be the same as for DLA and PIP.

Roll out of Adult Disability Payment

Applications for this new Scottish benefit will be taken, from people not already getting PIP or DLA, from 21 March 2022.

It is being rolled out in stages starting in Dundee City, Perth and Kinross and the Western Isles local authority areas.

From 20 June 2022 applications will also be taken in Angus, North and South Lanarkshire local authority areas.

From 25 July 2022 Fife, City of Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Moray, North, East and South Ayrshire will be included in the local authority areas where Adult Disability Payment can be claimed.

Adult Disability Payment is expected to be available to all new applicants in Scotland from 29 August 2022.

Adults already getting DLA or PIP will be transferred to Adult Disability Payment from August 2022.