Types of childcare

Last updated: 17/02/2020

Find out what the two main types of childcare are available to you.

The Care Inspectorate

The Care Inspectorate publish their reports on their website

Informal childcare

This is when a neighbour, friend or family member looks after your children. You can’t get help through tax credits or universal credit to help with the cost of informal childcare even if you pay for it.

Registered childcare

Registered childcare providers are regulated by the Care Inspectorate. It carries out inspections every 12 to 48 months, although it can be more frequently, to ensure childcare providers meet specific standards.

There are many different types of registered, or formal, childcare. Normally you have to pay for it although you may get help from your local council or as part of tax credits or universal credit.