Useful contacts

Last updated: 16/02/2022

Get advice

The rules regarding benefit entitlement and how benefits interact are complicated. If you or your children are awarded Employment and Support Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance, Child Disability Payment or Carer’s Allowance it will have an effect on other benefits you may be getting.

In most cases being awarded a disability benefit will entitle, or passport, you to extra support but in some cases you may find no change, or a reduction, in what you receive.

For advice, call the Lone Parent Helpline on 0808 801 0323.


Local Council Welfare Rights Worker

All local authorities have a team who deal with benefit enquiries. Some will also deal with debt. Contact your local council for details.


Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB)

Offices throughout Scotland offering advice and support on many issues including welfare benefits.


Universal Credit  Helpline

Telephone: 0800 328 5644
Textphone: 0800 328 1344 (Monday  – Friday 8 am – 6 pm)

For information on Universal Credit, new style Jobseekers Allowance and new style Employment and Support Allowance.


Disability Living Allowance Helpline

Telephone: 0800 121 4600 (Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm)
Textphone: 0800 121 4523

For information on Disability Living Allowance.


Department for Work and Pensions  (Personal Independence Payment Helpline)

Telephone: 0800 121 4433 (Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm)

Textphone: 0800121 4493

For information on Personal Independence Payment.


Carer’s Allowance Unit

Telephone: 0800 731 0297 Mon – Fri, 8am – 6pm

Textphone: 0800 731 0317

For information on Carer’s Allowance.


Carers Trust Scotland

Telephone: 0300 772 7701

Benefit information and details of local support for carers.


Social Security Scotland

Telephone: 0800 182 2222 (Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm)

For information on Scottish benefits including Scottish Child Payment, Child Disability Payment, Carer’s Allowance Supplement and Young Carer Grant.



Information on benefits and how to apply for them.