Single Parent FAQs: Christmas period


Our advice and information team who work on our Lone Parent Helpline, webchat and Ask a Question feature, receive questions from single parents around Scotland every day.

Our new feature – Single Parent FAQs – on our newsletter and blog spotlights Frequently Asked Questions on a different topic each month.

This month, our advice team have been receiving a lot of calls from single parents regarding the Christmas and New Year period.


Festive period opening times and blog

Have a look at our Christmas tips and see details of our opening times over the festive break.

Take a look at the FAQ's

I’m due to receive my benefits on boxing day and have a couple of direct debits due to come out my bank, what can I do?

If you are due to get your benefits on boxing day then you should receive them on the 23rd of December. You can find more information on Christmas and New Year payment dates here.

I don’t have any money to buy presents this year is there any help?

Each area has different help available some places that may help local churches, toy banks, community groups, it is useful seeing what is available locally. If you can’t find anywhere locally get in touch and see if we can find anywhere locally.

With the cost-of-living crisis I’m so worried about fuel costs is there anything single parents can claim?

Home Energy Scotland can give advice for people worried about energy costs.

You could also see if you would qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme which is £150 paid to your energy account. See here for more information and to see if you are eligible.

I find Christmas break lonely with the kids, all clubs and stuff stop for the Christmas holidays, is there an online community for single parents?

At One Parent Families Scotland we have an online forum that you can connect with single parent’s.

It has been so cold, will I get the cold weather payment?

In Scotland cold weather payments are being replaced by The Winter Heating Payment which will provide a reliable, annual £50 payment, automatically through Social Security Scotland, to anyone who qualifies. Payments for winter 2022 will start to be made from February 2023. More information can be found on the Social Security Scotland website.

I am worried that my ex-partner is going to get better presents for the children.

Christmas time is about spending quality time with your families, children don’t remember about the present’s they will enjoy spending time with you making memories building indoor dens, watching movies with a hot chocolate and playing games.

See more tips that we collated.

My job ended last month, and I won’t get my first UC payment until January, can I get a loan?

If you do not have enough money to live on while you wait for your first payment of Universal Credit you can ask for a Universal Credit Advance. This is a loan you need to pay back. It will be deducted from your next 24 Universal Credit payments. You can find more information and how to apply here.

CTA Image