Ask our advisers a question

Single parents and professionals in Scotland can write in with a question for One Parent Families Scotland. Whether your question is about our services, benefits, your money, your children or other topics, our trained advisers will answer your question.

Questions are anonymised and can be edited for length. For quicker and detailed responses to your question contact the Lone Parent Helpline on 0808 801 0323 or use our live chat.

Ask us a question

Latest discussions

  • Browse the topics below, or filter by category

How do I arrange child maintenance payments when my child’s other parent does not live in the UK?

Children, Separating

Can I apply for a passport for my child without the father?


I have saved money that I want to give to my children now and put in their bank accounts – will my children’s accounts be looked at for my Housing Benefit?

Benefits, Children, Money

My ex is not sticking to the agreement we made about when he see’s our daughter. He does not come to collect her when he should and when he does have her he does not bring her home on the time or day we arranged. I cannot depend on him for childcare and am worried, that when he does take her, he will not bring her back at all. What can I do about this?

Children, Separating

I have just moved house and used up all the money I had buying things I needed for my new home. I am now struggling to pay for everyday items like food, gas and electricity. I can’t get any more help from the council through the Scottish Welfare Fund. Can anyone else help?

Housing, Money

I share the care of my children with their mother. She is getting universal credit for them can I get it too?

Benefits, Children

I have an agreement with my ex about child maintenance payments. It has been 5 years since we made the arrangement and I think his salary now with be much more than it was then. Can we change the agreement?

Children, Money

Will my tax credits go up if I am furloughed and on 80% wages?

Benefits, Employment, Money

Can I ask my employer to reduce my working hours? My doctor has told me I need to work less.

Benefits, Employment, Money

My children stay with their mother during the week and with me at the weekend. Can I claim any benefits?

Benefits, Children, Money

Your question hasn't been answered?

Please complete the fields below. One of our advisers will review your question and provide an answer within 3 working days. Check back on the board to see your question answered. We don't publish answers to questions if the subject and answer is sensitive, we will email you back directly if this is the case.